Lesson 1. Why does my child act this way?
In this lesson, you will learn that your child’s disrespectful or abusive behavior is not caused by “out of control” emotions or overwhelming impulses.
- You will learn your child’s inappropriate or “out of control” behavior has purpose and meaning and is goal-oriented.
- Your child’s inappropriate behavior is his way of dealing with everyday problems that other children deal with through compliance.
- Your child has learned to use defiance instead of compliance to deal with relationships and responsibilities.
- The reason “why” your child behaves this way is not nearly as important as “what” he has to do to change.
- Your child’s inappropriate behavior is not your fault.•Helping your child to develop the problem-solving skills he needs is your responsibility